Thursday 21 June 2012

My first postcard

Well I've been waiting for nearly 2 weeks to do my post and for a very good reason.

I recently discovered Pinterest which I must say is utterly addictive. Anyway while browsing a few people's boards I came across a website called Postcrossing. It's a postcard exchange project that invites everyone to send and receive postcards from random places in the world. After reading a bit about it I duly signed up and posted my first postcard to a lady called Sari in the Netherlands. The idea is once the member receives it they register it using the unique code assigned to each postcard. You then become eligible to receive a postcard from another random user anywhere in the world.
My postcard to Sari only took 2 days to arrive in the Netherlands and since then I've been patiently waiting to receive my first postcard. Of course I had no idea where in the world it was being sent from and therefore how long I would be waiting in anticipation. That was until Wednesday and I heard the postman pushing the mail through the letterbox.

Look what was waiting for me on the doormat...................................






It was a postcard from Ola in Poland.

She told me that the Polish have a saying which goes "Porywać się z motyką na słońce" (To lunge at the sun with a hoe). It means "to bite of more than you can chew". Don’t you just love idioms?

I've since posted a number of other postcards to various places in the world and I can't wait to start receiving some back and filling up my new pinboard. I'll update you along the way......

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic idea Kim ! Interested to see which far flung places you hear from...

    ReplyDelete